Certificate in Biblical Studies Program
The Certificate in Biblical Studies aims at making you a competent, knowledgeable student of the Word of God and a more faithful disciple of the One who is central to that Word: Jesus Christ.
The program enables you to know the major Bible books well and teaches you how to study the Bible independently and responsibly. The Certificate is awarded upon completion of 12 courses distributed among four areas of study, the student having missed no more than two classes per course and having satisfactorily completed a final examination for each course.
The CBS program may be completed in two years, but may also be extended to fit the individual’s life situation. Instructors are available to advise students on appropriate courses, most of which are held in the evening, with a few in the morning. Courses are located at host churches on Oahu.
CBS includes the following 12 requirements:
Overview Courses (Choose 2)
- Bible Overview
- Old Testament Survey
- New Testament Survey
- Systematic Theology
Old Testament Courses (3)
- A Historical Book
- A Prophetic Book
- A Wisdom/Poetic Literature Book
New Testament Courses (5)
- A Gospel
- Book of Acts
- One of these letters: Romans, Galatians, Ephesians, or Hebrews
- Another letter (may be from the list above)
- Book of Revelation
Skills Courses (choose 2)
- How to Study the Bible or Keys to Personal Bible Study
- Keys to Bible Teaching
- “How to …” (type classes) including:
Discipleship, Evangelism, Worship, Spiritual Leadership, and Spiritual Disciplines.
Each quarter, Certificate courses will be specially marked with the symbol. Students in the program will complete requested course assignments plus a final exam or assessment as designed by the instructor.
To enroll in the CBS program, check the CBS box when registering for a course. The BIH office will help you keep track of your progress as you work toward your goal. Questions?
Email or Call Student Coordinator, Rodney Wong at 595.4700.
Why work toward a Certificate? BIH founder Pastor Don Baron said it best: “To embrace the discipline of becoming a student of the Word of God will make you a more faithful disciple of the One Who is central to that Word, Jesus Christ.”
- Nationally recognized personal and ministry training
- Participate in an encouraging graduation ceremony
- Continuing education credits accredited by the Association of Christian Schools International (ACSI)
- Membership in an association of other certificate graduates related to your emphasis to regularly communicate, enjoy seminars and attend luncheons
- Affordable—classes start at only $35
- “Looking forward to applying what I’ve learned to my life and walk with Him!”
- “Every class with BIH always enlightens me and teaches me scriptures in great detail!”
- “…not only spiritual growth but passionate pursuit for the deep things of God!!”
- “Strengthens my faith.”
- “Helps to solidify my beliefs and helps me to express/explain my faith to others.”
- “Great class!”
- “Instructor very knowledgeable”
- “Great expository teaching”
- “clear and insightful”
- “Strong biblical knowledge”
- “Incredible enthusiasm”
- “Excellent instructor”
- “Enjoyable and very passionate”
- “Always motivates us”
- “Made the Bible come alive”
- “Down to earth and deeply spiritual”